Monday, August 6, 2012

My Bloom.com review of Stila 'In The Know' palette

Okay, folks... it's time again for another review! I am reviewing the Stila 'In The Know' palette (spoiler alert... totally amazing!), as well as the Dr Dennis Gross Extra Strength Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel. Both products were part of my monthly box of awesome stuff given to me by the amazing ladies at Bloom.com to review. I am not paid for these reviews, I just get to try these things free, and tell you all about them... payment enough for me!

On to the good stuff :) I mentioned this palette in my last post, about a week ago. It looked wonderful, and fun, and modest... all things I need in my current arsenal of product. The quality of Stila shadows are unsurpassed. They are buttery, highly pigmented, and have very little fallout. I love them so much, that I can deal with the somewhat hefty price tag. Really, all things considered, it's not too bad, considering the array of colors you get to play with. I mean, I hit the pan on maybe one or two shadows a year when I get full sized product, so really you're getting a better deal!

I decided to do a couple looks today, I did a natural look, using Wind on my brow bone, Rain from lashline to crease, and Desert to blend, using a windshield wiper motion. I blended the colors using a Sonia Kashuk brush from Target, like this
Swishing it back and forth, blending the colors together until the colors were nice and... blendy (it's a word).

I should mention, I used a base, as always, with my shadow. Today I used a MAC paintpot, but I've had great results with Stila smudgepots, as well. I like to pick a color similar to the shadow I'm working with, for maximum effect. I know lot's of people that like to use Urban Decays Primer Potion, but it just doesn't do it for me.

So, after blending until blendy (ha!), I smudged a little of the smudge stick that comes with the palette right into my lashline. A few coats of mascara, and I was good to go. This is what I would wear for a day at the office (not my office, my office is home with a crazy 3 year old and a teething infant... they don't care about my blendy shadow), or even lunch with the girls. Here is the finished product:
I decided then, that I would do a nighttime look. You may notice in these pictures that you only ever see one eye. That's because I was short on time, and only did one. Then my husband came home and looked at me funny while I was making biscuits in the kitchen, with one eye all natural, and the other all fun and dark. I think he thought I was going crazy and didn't do it on purpose. He worries about me.

Anyway, so for the add on look, I simply patted some Ebony in a 'v' shape on my outter crease, blending with more Rain. I added more smudge stick on my lower lashline, and another coat of mascara. I loved the way it looked, and even more, I loved that it was quick and easy, and could have taken me from the office to happy hour. Mmm... Happy hour.



My verdict? I love it. I love it so much, I feel like I should write the people at Stila and thank them for creating a palette just for me, which I feel like this is.



Next, the peel.
I think I like it.. I mean, we got a five day supply, and I felt a difference, absolutely. I can only imagine what my results would have been after 30 days. Here are the awesome (not so much) pictures of my before and after. I really dislike posting sans makeup pictures for all to see, but it's in the name of science, right? From the website:

Includes: 30 Packettes: 1 box containing 30 packettes of Step I and Step II each.
A more powerful version of the Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel, this peel provides higher concentrations of Alpha Beta® Acids, plus new anti-aging boosters, including mandelic acid and willow bark extract without added irritation or recovery time. Especially suited for stubborn skin conditions that have not responded favorably to other anti-aging treatments, this easy two-step system smoothes the appearance of fine lines and instantly firms your skin, treats large pore, calms redness, controls excess oil, and eliminates dullness to reveal a glowing, luminous visage that’s sure to attract attention. This highly developed anti-aging skincare regimen also provides microexfoliation without any of the recovery time. Microexfoliation is a gentle, non–irritating method of removing cellular debris from the surface of the skin, resulting in a smoother, firmer more even complexion. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel yields results far superior to other methods of exfoliation, displaying significant, notable and lasting improvement in the way you look, ensuring you look your best at all times.
How It Works:
Step I – Alpha Beta Refining
  • Glycolic acid reduces visible signs of aging.
  • Lactic acid promotes cell renewal; fights wrinkles while exfoliating and moisturizing.
  • Malic acid promotes cell renewal; fights wrinkles while exfoliating and moisturizing.
  • Citric acid helps speed up cell turnover/cell renewal.
  • Salicylic acid helps lift and remove the blackhead or waxy plug that is clogging the pore.
  • Genistein stimulates collagen production and diminishes its breakdown.
  • Chamomilla recutita soothes and calms irritation.
  • Green tea extract is a natural antioxidant that may reverse sun damage.
Step II– Enriched Neutralizing System
  • Retinol has proven anti-aging effects on skin.
  • Green tea extract is a natural antioxidant, may reverse sun damage.
  • Phospholipids are natural substances that draw moisture from the air and seal it into the skin.
  • Sodium bicarbonate neutralizes acids.
  • Vitamins A, C, and E ingredients are potent antioxidants that prevent collagen breakdown.
  • Genistein stimulates collagen production and diminishes its breakdown.
  • Yarrow extract is a natural toner with anti-inflammatory properties.
  • Ubiquinone is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes harmful free radicals.
  • Resveratrol is grape-seed polyphenol that protects skin from premature aging.
Results: Results based on a 28 day consumer study Safe for All Skin Types & Skin Tones.
Visible improvement in:
  • Firmness and radiance – 92%
  • Minimized pores – 88%
  • Skin tone and spot reduction – 82%
  • Makeup application and longer wear – 96%
  • Increased hydration – 86%
  • 100% agreed the formula was gentle and fit easily into their regular beauty routine.
  • 96% of users reported their skin looked more youthful and glowing
Suggested Use:
Step I: Apply to clean, dry skin in circular motions from forehead to neck. Wait two minutes before applying Step II.
Step II: Use same techniques as Step I, continuing until pad feels dry. Do not rinse or use products containing alcohol. Follow with All-in-One Tinted Moisturizer with SPF15.


Now, I made sure to use the exact same lighting, same camera, same spot in the house... everything. I don't know that it worked, because it's hard to see if there is any difference. I will say that my skin feels a little tighter, and though I broke out at first (causing me to skip a day), I do feel like it was simply my skin purging. See that little sunspot between my eye and my ear? Yeah, thats why I take all of my pictures on this side, I want that thing gone!I think this faded it a bit, and overall improved my skin tone. Will I purchase? Yes, I think I will. If I notice a difference after 5 days, I am hoping to see something great happen in 30!

So, there you have it! Look for me on Bloom, and follow me to see what I'm up to next!

My next post will be all about Fall fashion... I am so excited! I've been taking notes for weeks. Fall is my favorite season, and the clothes are the best part :)

-C


No comments:

Post a Comment