Wednesday, April 10, 2013

at home chemical peels... worth the ouch?



a few weeks ago I decided that unlike a leopard, I can change my spots... my sun spots, my acne scarring, my hormonal blotchiness... away with you! I am not a noob to this spot fading business. Ive tried several lotions, potions, and belt sanding (kidding! kind of), but nothing has satiated me.

If you've never tried an at home chemical peel, more specifically a TCA peel, it's amazing. If you have any issues with your skin... large pores, oiliness, fine lines, spots, sun damage, etc... this stuff is a godsend. It requires some downtime, but I don't mind going to the grocery store looking like Freddy Krueger.

On March 22nd I applied the peel. I used a 24% TCA, which you can find at makeup artists choice. Now, if you have not done one, I would suggest you start with a lower percentage, maybe an 8 or 12.5... but don't take my word for it, they have amazing customer service and will actually walk you though every step and help you determine which peel is right for your skin... seriously, the best customer service, guys.

Okay, So I put this burn-ey stuff on my face, wait a minute, then decide it isn't burning enough and do a 2nd layer. My skin it thick and tough, I can take it. At this point it's been 3 minutes and I am on FIRE. In a good way. In a this-is-for-sure-working way. I noticed my skin get all frosty looking, and remember that I read that would happen. I wait another 3 minutes and douse myself in baking soda.

Way to play it cool, Chantee.

After I gently rinse the baking soda off, I slathered my skin with moisturizer. I used Lush 'Dream Cream', because I know how gentle it is. Again, if you don;t know which to use, the folks at MUAC will help you.

Day 3-5 after was the worst... peeling, flaking, tightness. It literally felt like I was walking around with a mud mask on my face on day 3, lol. By day 7 I was fine, and my face was smooth. Not a single clogged pore! This is amazing, considering the state of my skin before the peel... major congestion. May-JOR.

Here we are 2 weeks later, and I do have a few pores back to their dirty tricks, but nothing to crazy. I noticed that the spots are faded quite a bit, and my pores are altogether clearer.

I wish that I had taken a few after pictures, but I didn't. What I will do is post my before, from a few months ago before I reviewed another product, and I will post after shots of the next peel, April 22nd.

Would you guys wanna see the 'during' pictures? When it's all gross and peeling?

What do you think? Is it worth it? Would you go through a week of peeling for clearer skin? My hope is to not feel the need to wear any makeup all summer.

Leave your comments below!

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment